Here’s the recipe of my quick and simple vegan pasta soup.
- 2 cups conchiglie
- 1L water
- 3/4-1 cup soy milk
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 small onion
- 1 bunch green beans, chopped
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Spring onion
- Sprig of rosemary and thyme (if available)
- Shallow fry the rosemary and thyme until the aroma fills the kitchen.
- Add the garlic and when it has browned add the onion.
- Add the chopped carrot and green beans. Stirfry for about a minute and add the salt.
- Add water and bring to boil. Add more salt if needed.
- Add the pasta and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the soy milk and bring back to boil.
- Add the spring onion and turn off the heat.
Memory of the Pasta Soup
I was craving for my mother’s cooking especially the pasta soup which we commonly referred to as sopas until now. My mother usually cooked it only on either Christmas or New Year’s Eve when I was a child.
Life was very hard and back then it was a luxury food because the main ingredients were not grown locally. Needless to say they were expensive. We could only afford to splash on food once a year.
Although we don’t serve pasta soup on Christmas or New Year anymore, I could still virtually taste it my head and it brings a lot of good memories.
I think I miss my mum.
I’ve been married to an Italian so pasta is no longer a novelty and has become a commodity. But whenever I see conchiglie I am transported to a novelty feeling at the thought of ‘sopas’.